Hints and Tips for Sparrow Trap
Open the top lid containing the funnel, Feed the birds for a few days with the lid open, to get them used to entering and leaving the trap. After the second or third day, close the lid and the sparrows should go right in having been used to eating there. Once the sparrow gets in the trap, leave it to flutter around, as it will attract others to follow.
During the spring time, when they are building their nests, tear apart the nest and place the feathers and strings in the trap to help attract them as well.
Suggested Natural Animal Baits
Bobcats/Lynx Cats -
Live chicken or rabbit, any meat bait, a bunch of feathers or fur inside the trap will help arouse their curiosity.
Commercially prepared baits and lures work well.
- Peanut butter, peanuts, corn or sunflower seeds.
- Fresh meat or liver, chicken entrails and eggs.
- Field corn and garden vegetables.
- Raw meat, chicken or fish, canned dog food(punch small holes in each end). Use pantyhose for raw bait.
- Corn meal or cottonseed.Use panty hose to contain bait.
- Bird seed or method at top of page.
- Grain or popcorn of any kind.
- Carrots, potatoes, or earth worms. Use a 2 x 4 on each side of door to trap to funnel the armadillo in the trap.
- Canned dog food or dry food.
- Anything of a fishy nature (sardines, raw fish, etc.) smoked meat, sweet corn or fruit, molasses, bread, peanut butter, honey and vanilla wafers.
- Green vegetables or corn.
- Live chicken, rabbit, rancid fish, or meat.
- Nuts, popcorn, crackers, peanut butter or molasses on bread, or field corn.
TIPS ON USING THE LIVE TRAPS
1. Try to blend the live trap in with the animal's environment by pulling grass, leaves, twigs, branches, etc. up and around the trap, also throw some grass, leaves inside the trap.
2. Animals such as ground hogs and squirrels can often be caught by setting the live traps right at their den or burrow entrance, or directly in a trail that they are using.
3. If you dispatch an animal inside the live trap, be certain to clean the trap throughly and remove any blood.
4. Approach trapped animals with caution: they will bite fingers through the live trap. A good way to move or transport them while in the live trap is to cover the trap with a tarp or blanket, then pick up and carry.
5. Bird traps - Place bait on the ground, then place trap over bait. Put a small amount of bread on funnel of sparrow trap.
BAITING THE TRAPS
To bait the traps place the bait on the ground, then place the trap on the ground with the foot pedal directly over the bait.
SETTING THE TRAPS
Raise the locking arms and set the door on the trigger.